From Pam Anderson’s book “Perfect One-Dish Dinners,” we loved this chili. The combination of chicken and chocolate and pickled jalapeños sounded pretty interesting to me, and after eating this chili at least 3 times (by itself, over rice, and with chips and guacamole), I’m now a Pam Anderson convert.
While cooking it up, I considered being wigged out by the fact that the beans go in with all the can goop that I normally rinse away, but there was no grodiness in the final flavor. At all. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Besides being even better after a night in the fridge, this chili provides me with enough fuel to fuel the growing mobility of this tiny tot.
Hey, this tummy time is no joke. Do you know how much work it takes to lift as head as big as mine?
Alice, I know it’s hard, but keep in mind that the size of your head in proportion to your quite-small body is what makes you so baby-licious.
1 TBS olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 TBS chili powder
1 ½ tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
Shredded meat from 1 large rotisserie chicken
1 quart chicken broth
1-28 oz can stewed tomatoes
1-16 oz can black beans (undrained)
1-16 oz can small white beans (undrained)
2 TBS diced pickled jalapeños
5 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup chopped cilantro
1 oz semisweet chocolate
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chopped onions and pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened, seasoning with salt and pepper.
2. Add the four spices to the pot and stir for 1 minute, until fragrant.
3. Add the shredded chicken and stir to coat with the spices.
4. Add the broth, tomatoes, beans and jalapeños. Bring the chili to a boil, then partially cover the pot and lower the heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and stir in garlic, cilantro and chocolate. Taste and re-season if needed.
6. Cover the pot, and let it stand for 10-15 minutes before serving so that the flavors blend. Enjoy!
Click here for printer-friendly version: Jerk Chicken Chili